Monday, January 9, 2012

DAY THREE - FIBER

I woke up this morning and weighed in at 168.8 lbs.  Once again I lost nearly 2 lbs in one day.  There could be many reasons for this.  I am drinking more water and I have added fiber to my diet.  Simple changes like this can result in rapid weight loss in the beginning.  The weight loss will slow down and exercise will become more important to maintain continuous weight loss.

Last October I had reconstructive surgery on my left knee.  As a result I was prescribed various pain management drugs with the instructions to make sure that I drank a lot of water and that I should take a laxative to prevent dehydration and constipation. 

Without going into great detail about my discomfort; I experienced both the dehydration and constipation despite my efforts.  After one very sleepless night I decided that I needed to go back to what I knew about my own body and how it responded to various foods and supplements.  I sent Victor to the store to buy orange juice and I started taking ginseng again.  These two very simple changes to my diet helped relieve my discomfort.  Both ginseng and orange juice reminded me about the necessity to maintain fiber in my diet. 

However, when you are recovering from major surgery it is very difficult to maintain normal eating habits and sleep.  It was not easy for me to get back into the swing of things.  Now that I am committed to get back to a more healthier me I have taken steps to make sure that I am eating right.  Adding fiber back into my diet is part of eating right.

What are the best sources of fiber?  Well, let's get back to the basics with a simple list of fiber sources:

  • Whole grains (bran has the highest fiber content); this includes breads and cereals, whole-grain pastas, and brown rice
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Legumes (such as dried peas, beans, lentils)
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables

When foods are processed, fiber is often removed. Foods made from white flour (bleached or unbleached) are poor sources of fiber, including white breads, pizza crusts, and regular pasta. In general, foods that are less processed are higher in fiber.

Some high-fiber foods - such as some breakfast cereals and convenience foods - are also high in sugar and salt, so take care to read the label before purchase.

There are fiber supplements that can be taken, however they are not the best source and do not provide all the benefits of natural sources of fiber. 

What you need to know about fiber:

Supplements provide only a very restricted type of fiber.  Eating a diet of high-fiber foods usually incorporates various kinds of fiber, and that's healthier.  Fruits, vegetables, and oats have plenty of soluble fiber.  Whoole grains, bran, legumes, and many fruits and vegetables are full of insoluble fiber.  Both soluble and insoluble fiber add bulk and softness to the stool. Insoluble fiber remains pretty much unchanged by the time it reaches the intestines, whereas soluble fiber acquires a soft, jelly-like texture. Both make stools easier to pass.

In my personal diet I have included both natural fibers like fruits andd vegetables and have added a fiber supplement.  I picked up a bag of Total Lean energizing chews from GNC last week.  I chose the wild berry flavor.  Each chew has 2 grams of fiber and I take one about 30 minutes before I eat.  I still drink lots of water and include ginseng in my diet.

Every person is different and only you know how your body responds to different foods.  I know what works for me and I will continue with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment